Today I noticed M busy at the carpentry table. She was very focused with what she was doing and showed a lot of concentration skills. I watched as she used a variety of tools to create something. She was cutting wood with a saw, using the hammer and nails, using the hot glue gun and painting her product. “When children are provided with enough materials, technical assistance, and limits, they can experiment as they wish” (Huber, 2008, p. 1). I had a discussion with M and she told me she had made an aeroplane and was now making a TV, then a couch. She was very determined and persevered to get this done. I stood back and watched how she carefully chose her materials that she wanted to use. She went to get something from the art area and when she came back a boy had taken her piece of wood she was using to make the TV. She explained to him that she was using that and helped get him another one similar. The bell went for mat time and she placed her products on the drying rack and went off to mat time.
This was a great learning opportunity for M. She was gaining increasing control over her body through muscular strength, manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination (Ministry of Education, 2009). She showed a lot of concentration and perseverance skills, as she expressed her creativity in a three dimensional way. Technology is a creative activity that meets the needs and opportunities through the development of products and environments (Smorti, 1999). I could see that she was very confident when using the tools and knew how to use them correctly. M showed creativity skills as she used a range of materials and knew exactly what she wanted to create. Ministry of Education (1996) states that “using many materials for different purposes enable children to recognise that different technologies may be used in various places and settings” (p. 95). M also developed her social and communication skills by overcoming a problem she had come across with a boy. This will also be seen in carpentry when children work together to create something.
At our centre we often set up the carpentry table for children, it is set up in a position where it is supervised by teachers. There are always children creating awesome products and we have a range of tools for them to use. I thought this was dangerous at first, but as I spent time watching children with the tools I now know that they know how to use them in a safe way. Technology is about using practical resources to develop products. Quality outcomes result from creative and critical thinking (Ministry of Education, 2007). I think the three year olds know how to use a saw better than me! We do have rules at the carpentry table, such as wearing shoes, which the children are aware of. It is important to have a safe setting so that children are not afraid to take risks or explore new ideas (Fleer and Jane, 2011). I feel that we should make the carpentry table more available for children to use as they develop a lot of skills and are able to explore freely with creating products that they want to create. Through the goal exploration children develop knowledge that exploring with materials and ideas can be a creative and enjoyable approach to learning (Ministry of Education, 1996). 
Above is M using different materials to create her TV.
To the right is her aeroplane.
Reference list
Fleer, M., & Jane, B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Australia.
Huber, L. (2008). Wood working in my classroom? You bet! Excelligence Learning Corporation. Retrieved from http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=181
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whariki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2009). ECE lead: Carpentry. Retrieved from http://www.lead.ece.govt.nz/ServiceTypes/Playgroups/PlayIdeas/ConstructivePlay/Carpentry.aspx
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.

Marisa, I enjoyed reading your blog on carpentry and I personally really like carpentry as its using wood which is a natural material. I liked reading how M created a plane then went on to make a tv and how she dealt with a boy taking her piece of wood. We do carpentry a lot at my preschool and the children love to create their own masterpieces. Not only was M gaining control over her body but she was experimenting with different tools and different pieces of wood(Somerset,2010)when children do carpentry they are using all sorts of technology as all the tools are helping them to solve problems such as a saw to cut a piece of wood in half (Smorti,1999). Do the younger ones use the carpentry table like the two year olds? Marisa have you thought of adding different materials for the children to use such as different shaped wood ,bits of fabric or leather, corks etc.
ReplyDeleteCarpentry is a subject that I am quite unfamiliar with and I struggle with it because of this. I have not been in a centre that allows children access to a carpentry area whenever they want. In fact I have only once been involved in a carpentry activity and that was a completely teacher-led experience. I wish it were different for me as I totally agree with what you have said about the skills that can be learnt through carpentry experiences. I would like to add that as well as motor skills, co-ordination skills and creative thinking skills, carpentry can tie into science and nature, and Papatuanuku very nicely. They are learning about wood; where it comes from, different types and what we use it for. This creates many opportunities for us as educators to help the children make links between what they are making and their world around them (Bisgaier, Samaras, & Russo, 2004). Have you thought about how you could extend their carpentry experiences into something involving nature, Papatuanuku or sustainability?
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog about the carpentry table, I really like that you have the carpentry table in use at your centre and after reading about this observation you have had I really think that having the carpentry table is important. Did this child return to the carpentry table after mat time to complete her construction? Is your centre a mixed age centre? Are all of the children allowed to work on the carpentry table? I really liked how you described that the carpentry table is set up in a safe area so that the teachers can keep an eye on what the children are doing and I think this is really important also. When the children are at this carpentry table they are increasing their motor skills and also using control to use the tools safely (Ministry of Education 1996)
ReplyDeleteI love the carpentry table and I have seen children’s imaginations extended and many amazing things created at the carpentry table. I loved how M made a few different things and was determined to finish her masterpieces. I often think that children hammering in nails, undoing screws and sawing through wood and other objects is an excellent way to develop skills such as hand eye coordination, fine motor and gross motor skills. Ministry of Education (2009) states that through carpentry children “gain increasing control over their bodies through development of hand-eye coordination, manipulative skills and muscular strength”. Sometimes when I set up the carpentry area I will add some different materials such as glue, wool, material, pens and other things I can find in the craft area. This just adds another dimension to their creations. Do you bring in different materials to the carpentry area?
ReplyDelete