Monday, 25 March 2013

Computers

We have two computers in our centre which are on nearly every day and are available for the children to use. I personally haven’t explored the programs on these computers, but I have had a discussion with our manager and found out that they are appropriate and safe for the children. I believe that programs on the computer that promote creative thought are appropriate for all children. We also let children go on the computers in the office if they are available, and if they are with a teacher. This is usually for typing, printing photos, looking something up and for the use of Skype.

Lately, I have noticed the same group of children at the computers. They sit there and laugh, communicate with each other and really concentrate with what they are doing. I have noticed that not all children are interested in using the computers, but a lot of children do come and go from them, particularly in groups. After observing these children on the computers I have seen that they work together to participate in a range of activities. In Te Whariki, technology links in with the goal well-being because children build their self -confidence by solving practical problems (Ministry of Education, 1996). I think that it is great seeing children interact with others while on the computers because some of those children are quiet and don’t normally participate in a group. By interacting with others they are exploring a range of strategies such as: taking turns, problem solving, negotiating, communicating and supporting others (Ministry of Education, 1996). The children are able to explore, think and have control with what they are doing when working on computers. Thinking is about using creative processes to make sense of information and experiences. “Students who are competent thinkers and problem solvers actively seek, use, and create knowledge (Ministry of Education, 2007, p. 12). I believe that computers are a learning process for everyone and children and adults extend their learning on them constantly. “Well-prepared teachers, who recognize the power and limitations of technology, are needed now more than ever” (Tsantic, Bewick & Thouvenelle, 2003, p. 8).

At first, I thought that the computers shouldn’t be on every day and children didn’t need to be on them as much as they were. I also thought that children didn’t really know how to use computers effectively and they just ‘clicked’ away at nothing. After starting this course and observing children on them, I believe that computers play an awesome role in our centre and children really benefit by having access to them. I would like to sit down and have a look at the software that is on the computer that the children are using, so I can work alongside them when appropriate. Isenberg and Jalongo (2010) say that it is important for adults who work with children and computers to be able to use the software that facilitates children’s creative expression so we can facilitate their learning with computers. It is another way for children to learn and make sense of their world. I believe that in my centre computers are used in developmentally appropriate ways and are beneficial for the children. “Technology can support and extend learning in valuable ways and can increase educational opportunities for children” (Scoter, Ellis & Railsback, 2001, p. 25).

 

 


 
 
Reference list
 
Isenberg, J. P., & Jalongo, M. R. (2010). Creative thinking and arts- based learning: Preschool through fourth grade (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall.

Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whariki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
 
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
 
Scoter, J., Ellis, D., & Railsback, J. (2001). Technology in Early Childhood Education: Finding the balance. Oregon: Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory. Retrieved from http://www.netc.org/earlyconnections/byrequest.pdf
 
Tsantis, L. A., Bewick, C. J., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003). Examining some common myths about computer use in the early years. Young Children, 58(1), 1-9.
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. The children in your centre are very lucky to have computers for their own use, especially because Some children do not have computers at home or access to them. New Zealand Education review (2012) states“For children and families who do not have the use of computers and other technology at home, including
    ICT into kindergarten provides an introduction to resources that many people today take for granted” (p.1)we have iPads at my preschool but they are not easy accessible for the children so tend to be forgotten about. I agree with computers in preschool as Ict can support children's language development and mathematical thinking (New Zealand Education review, 2012).Marisa I think you should definitely learn about the software on the computer so you can support the children in their learning and it might be worth looking at some other relevant software.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent time in quite a few centres in the area where I live over the time we have been studying and your centre is the first one where access to computers has been part of their everyday centre life Marisa. I think this is quite an achievement and should be something that each early childhood centre should strive for. Technology, whether it is digital or non-digital is something that is going to be a huge part of the future for the children we teach and it is our responsibility to show them how to use it in the best way that we can (Smorti, 1999). I definitely think that you should learn how to use the software that the children are using so that you can more easily support their experiences. That might also encourage the other teachers at your centre to keep up-to-date with technological advances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisa I really enjoyed reading this blog on computers, is there a reason why you haven’t explored the programs on the computers? It is really nice to hear that some of the children working in the groups are normally the quieter children that don’t work in groups I think this is a really positive thing that it is helping the children to learn to work with and along side others. When the children are doing this they can test ideas and solutions which can help them explore and make sense of their world (Ministry of Education, 1996) I agree with what you said that you want to look at the computer software so you have a better understanding of this and this way you can talk to the children about what they are doing and have meaningful conversations. I agree with how you have described how computers are a really important resource in the classroom and hopefully my centre will get to have computers in the classroom soon also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen these computers at your centre and was amazed at what the children could do on them. The learning aspect was excellent for the children and found that they were very child friendly and I was amazed with how the children picked up the systems so quickly. I also noted that this activity provided the ability for children to build relationships and also encouraged them to learn with and alongside other children (Ministry of Education, 1996).
    Nowadays, computers are the way to find out information instantly and I have been able to help children in my centre to research a topic they have been interested in through access to a computer. Tsantis, Bewick & Thouvenelle (2003) also agree with this stating that computers can enhance, extend and add to a child’s learning experience. Maybe you could extend on some themes in your centre by letting children have access to a computer for research.

    ReplyDelete